On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:59:36PM -0500, Michael Habashy wrote:
> okay..i killed gdm and went to the console prompt.
> I logged in and started startx.
> The session started fine.
> I do not know what the issue is?????
> i think it is heavily related that i get the permissions error to /bin/bash.

You have two problems, two threads?  Makes it kinda hard for us to
follow.

IIRC, if something changed your /bin/bash then your box may have been
compromised.  On the same box, you have a program, gdm, that asks for a
password and is also misbehaving.  If this box is connected to the net,
you may find that your password is known by someone else now.

Take this seriously.  If it were me, I would disconnect the box from the
internet and wouldn't reconnect it until either I had proven that it
wasn't compromised or I had overwritten the disk and reinstalled, and
only restored from pre-troubles backup with more recent backups getting
a good look (e.g. check for changed permissions).

Doug.