On 3/21/08, Sanjaya Vitharana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just trying to move my home desktop to Debian from Windows. As initial stage
> I'm trying with dual boot until I get used to Debian. But the problem is
> with "gdm" Display Properties. I can't get expected quality for 1024 x 768
> resolution as my Windows did. For that resolution I get only 60/87 Hz in
> Drop Down List. I need Something higher than or equal to 75Hz for 1024 x 768
> with clear & cool screen.
>
> For 87 Hz with 1024 x 768 which I get after several tries also not satisfied
> me. It shows some horizontal lines when you see carefully to the screen.

It's interlaced, which means that it only shows every other line per
cycle.  This explains
the lines you see when you look carefully, and also the low quality.

> Also when scrolling on the browser window can see how letters draged on the
> screen. Also it is slightly deficult to see on the screen for long time as I
> feel.

Yeah, that's interlace for you.

> No Linux Driver for SiS 315_315E in there site. My Monitor is ViewSonic E50c
> (Frequency H: 30~54 kHz V: 50~160Hz). I Used "apt-get install
> xserver-xorg-video-sis" and tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
>
> Since I am new to the Debian I don't no what to do more. Can anyone help.

You're doing great.

Are you sure you restarted X after modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

/etc/init.d/gdm restart will do it I think.

I thought that this was worth checking because your attachments show
that you have two
xorg.conf files, and you might not know that you have to restart X
entirely, not just log out
and in again.  (I think--I'll have to double-check.)  Your first
xorg.conf has low settings that
would give you the poor quality you are talking about, so I wanted to
make sure you were
using the second xorg.conf.

In any case, you're on the right track.