On 02/27/2009 12:42 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
The compiler can do anything that the programmers can make it do.

I'm not entirely clear on this, but I think that the memory has less
address space in 32 bit, no? So you have only long? I'm not a
programmer, so you could just RTFM me with a link and I'll take it
from there.

Just as doubles are 64 bits, even on old 16 bit machines, "long long" is a 64-bit scalar even on 32-bit machines.

It's "just" that using them takes more compiler effort and CPU cycles.

3. AMD64 uses the LP64 model, where int values are still 32 bit.
What is the advantage to this?

1. Smaller application binaries.

Duh!

2. Easier to port 32-bit application s/w to a 64-bit system.

Makes sense, though of all the hurdles I don't think that address
space allocation would be the make-or-break it hurdle. Again, I could
just be misunderstanding the complexity involved in real-world
applications.

Yup. But I can't bee harsh, because there are a lot of things I don't understand...

               My C experience began and ended in a one-semester
course.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.