Hello Debian users,

I have a virtual private server (VPS) that is running a minimal install of
etch (image used for installation provided by the hosting company). I
believe they use Virtuozzo for virtualisation. Since the virtual servers are
not run using Xen, this means I am bound by the kernel provided by the
hoster since all virtual machines are sharing the kernel.

The kernel is:

servername:~# uname -a
Linux servername.provider.tld 2.6.18-028stab060.2 #1 SMP Tue Jan 13 10:24:09 MSK 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Now my question is: Is it possible (or wise) to try to upgrade to lenny? Is it good practice to combine a lenny system with an etch kernel? Are there
security risks? Maybe it's better to stick with etch and keep the system
updated with security updates as long as they are available?

The main purpose of the machine is being resposible for e-mails (exim,
dovecot), hosting a tiny website. But on the other hand, I am playing around with it a lot and experimenting with running other services, so sometimes
I'd welcome newer package versions.

If you don't see reasons against this update: Would you recommend an
installation using debootstrap, or is it fine to do the following?

1) /etc/apt/sources.list : Change occurences of etch to lenny
2) aptitude update
3) apt-get install aptitude
4) aptitude dist-upgrade

I have simulated the above, and realised that there are some dependency
problems, but they seem to result from the fact that it is a minimal install without X server etc. and thus there are unmet dependencies ("depends") even
now in the current installation.

Thanks for your input!