In further looking at the issue of the dead links in /etc/alternatives
directory, leading to sensible-browser opening lynx rather than
iceweasel, I attempted to install a gui program entitled galternatives,
to see if that could assist me.  This has brought up another issue,
which I've had with some other gtk programs (IE, emelfm).  In trying to
run galternatives, I received the following error:

debian:/home/mark# galternatives
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/galternatives", line 4, in <module>
    import galternatives
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/galternatives/__init__.py",
line 3, in <module> from main import *
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/galternatives/main.py", line
4, in <module> import gtk, gobject
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
line 48, in <module> from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: No module named cairo
debian:/home/mark#

Before my upgrade to Lenny, I was able to run emelfm, but since the
upgrade, I've not been able to.  The commonality seems to be python and
gtk.  In checking /etc/alternatives directory, I see that there is
another dead link:

python-gtk --> /usr/share/python-gtk-2.0

This is a dead link.  I do have the package python-gtk2 installed, but
there is no directory or file named python-gtk-2.0 in /usr/share.  The
closest I could find is pygtk, or pyshared-data, which seems to have
files for some of the programs I've been having trouble with (IE,
exfalso, python-cairo).

Mark