On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 03:15:30PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> In my sister's home directory there is a pdf file that won't respond to the
> `lp' command.  All others pdf files in the same directory behave all right,
> and
> the permissions are the same.  The only difference is the creation date, which
> is today wheras the other files are older.
>
> The thing looks mysterious to me.
>
> Can anybody suggest any explanation/remedy?

1.      Are you sure that it is a .pdf file?  run file on it.

2.      Did she put that file there?

3.      If you are unsure of the file, use a sacrificial user (i.e.
        create a new user named e.g. goat), have her email that file to
        goat, then log in as goat, run mutt, save the file to its home
        (or ~/uldl) directory, then start x, and try to open the file
        with a pdf viewer (xpdf, kpdf, whatever).

4.      If the file opens with a pdf viewer, what happens if you try to
        print from the viewer?

Doug.