On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 02:54:38PM -0500, Zhengquan Zhang wrote:

> I understand what a boot drive is now. But I still do not understand why
> 'for the boot drive that becomes a bit of a problem'. particularly I
> don't understand what 'that' refers to. Does that mean I will fail to
> install lenny on it or adding module on boot drive is more of a problem?

If the kernel needs a module to find the drive which will be the boot
drive, then the installer kernel would need the module before the
installer could find the disk on which to install.  I don't know if the
installer program has a means of adding a module then rescanning for
hard drives.

> > 3.  Copy the data from the backup server to some remote location
> >     either with removable media or a second backup server at a
> >     remote location.  A lot of this depends on the size of the
> >     backup set and your options of remote location.  I keep a backup
> >     in the bank's safety deposit box.
>
> safety deposit box? are you serious:) so how to vent the heat?

I don't keep a backup server in the safety deposit box :), I keep the
backup media.  In this case, big USB stick (hard drives don't fit and
sticks are cheaper and more rugged than LTO-1 tapes [and no separate
drive required]).

> I will put the backup machine in a different building.

Apparently, a number of data centers in the World Trade Centre had their
off-site backup in the other tower.  Keep that in mind when you choose
the "different building".

Another consideration:  Imagine that all you have is the backup media.
What info will you need to use that media to recreate the entire system?
Will you need any printed documentation to access the data on the media?
Will you need any special hardware (e.g. a tape drive of a particular
model) to access the media?  Is the data encrypted?  What happens if the
media is lost or stolen?  Here, "media" could be your disk array; they
still fit in a backpack.

Doug.