On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 07:29:07AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
> > Before I try it, please advise whether, in removing the sudo facility for
> > users, the package management (both adding/removing packages, and,
> > downloading and installing updates, and using synaptic) will work by
> > entering only the root password.
>
> The package management software just needs root privileges.  It doesn't
> care how it got them.
>
> Nobody is suggesting anything exotic here.  Sudo is intended to be
> configured by the system administrator.  That's you.

However, does the package management software (as aptitude does) store
user preferences in the home directory?  If, for example, you always run
aptitude as yourself then give it the root password when prompted, it
stores your preferences in your home directory.  If you later run
aptitude as root, those prefernces won't be active.  Also, vis-versa.

Doug.