On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 10:54:35AM +0100, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Fiddling with the monitor menu i came across this:
>
> DIV
> 1280x1024
> 64KHz 60Hz
>
> ...that'll be useful for a modeline i guess - how can i make one?

There are actually a ton of howtos for calculating modelines out
there, mostly dating from the not-so-good old days of handcrafted
XF86Config files. For instance, the mythtv folks have one at
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Working_with_Modelines>. Googling
"modeline howto" yields 68,600 hits which would keep you busy for a
while.

That said, I'd probably try the following:

1) Since you plan to do so anyway, go ahead and install the
proprietary nvidia driver using module-assistant. For practice, do it
from a VT console for when^W^W in case you ever screw up your X.

2) Get it set up to your panel's native resolution. Anything other
than native res or some integer sub-multiple is going to look fuzzy,
even if you use the monitor's built-in stretching.

3) Use "xvidtune -show" to get the current modeline that the nvidia
driver has so kindly figured out for you.

4) With this modeline in hand, edit your xorg.conf to set up the nv
driver as a fallback.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to