On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:17:44PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> Currently I have a shell script that works as below.
> 1) launch proga, progb in the background using nohup.
> 2) Ask proga, progb to write a file when they finish.
> 3) Every five minutes check if these files are present. If they are present,
> launch progc.
>
> This gets me going for now. But it looks terribly inefficient. I would
> appreciate if someone can provide a better solution.

While you may think its terribly inefficient, it isn't really.  A fancy
"wait" function is just polling anyway, you're just making it overt.
You also have the ability to have proga and progb only touch the file if
they complete successfully.  If you merely wait until their ps
disappears, you don't know if they crashed or properly completed.

Doug.