On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 12:00 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:06:28PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > > Can you please provide output generated by the crash when launching
> > > gnucash from a terminal.
> > Alas, there is nothing particularly helpful:
> > jas...@jasiii:~$ gnucash --debug
> > gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> > configure time.
> >
> > Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
> > Segmentation fault
>
> hmmm... okay, a couple of options.
>
> 1) run gnucash from the command line: gnucash --nofile
> which will open an empty gnucash instance. If that doesn't crash, then
> try opening your file from the file menu at that point. I suspect this
> won't work though, that it will crash.
Indeed - had tried that early on and it crashes as soon as I try to open
an account.

> 2) install version 2.2.9 from squeeze. this may be problematic as it
> may bring in lots of gnome stuff you may not want. I haven't hacked on
> gnucash in a while, so I can't say what the state of 2.2.6 was, but I
> know there were a couple of problem releases for a bit there. It may
> be one of them.
I was hoping I could simply sneak in gnucash and gnucash-common but you
are exactly right - lots of dependencies from testing that I don't want
to bring into this image which needs to be stable for hundreds if not
thousands of virtual desktops.

> 3) get on #gnucash on irc.gnome.org and ask there. The channel can be
> pretty slow, so you'll have to lurk around for a while. Those guys can
> probably figure it out, but be prepared to defend your reasons for not
> moving up to 2.2.9, the current release.
>
> 4) build gnucash from source. This isn't as hard as you might
> think. do apt-get build-dep gnucash and start there. you'll probably
> want to use the --enable-opt-style-install to put it in a different
> path to keep from mixing up with dpkg.
Given the need to maintain this in some sane way I think this will be
our only real option until 2.2.9 hits stable.  Off to review how to
build debs! Thanks very much - John