On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:27:38 -0400 (EDT), Redalert Commander wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> James Stuckey wrote:
>>>
>>> (7)
>>> (++) using VT number 8
>>
>> This is off topic, but did you notice that the X server initialized itself
>> on VT number 8 instead of VT number 7?  That means, for example, that if
>> you are on virtual console number 1 (text mode) and wish to switch to
>> the X server, you will need to use Ctrl+Alt+F8 instead of the usual
>> Ctrl+Alt+F7.  I've noticed this bug too lately.  In fact, it's
>> possible that you have have two copies of the X server running.
>> One on VT 7 and one on VT 8.  Wouldn't that be a hoot?
>
> I noticed that on my system as well, and you might be correct, although
> VT7 only gives you a black screen with blinking cursor.
> You might be right about the 2 x servers:
> ste...@pc-steven:~$ ps aux | grep gdm
> root      2215  0.0  0.0  15372  1716 ?        Ss   21:15 0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm
> root      2220  0.0  0.1  15712  3248 ?        S    21:15 0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm
> root      2229  2.3  2.1  77360 66380 tty7     Ss+  21:15 1:22 /usr/bin/X :0
> -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
> steven    3880  0.0  0.0   3116   768 pts/0    S+   22:14   0:00 grep gdm
>
> Might be a bug in the NVidia kernel module? Or is this something we can
> fix in the X configuration? (it would be nice to have in on VT7 again as
> default)

First of all, I need to correct myself.  When switching from a text console
to the X console, you don't need Ctrl.  For example, Alt+F7 (or Alt+F8
in this case) will work fine.  Ctrl is only needed when switching from the
X console to a text console.  For example, Ctrl+Alt+F1.  I know you know
that, but for the sake of correcting my earlier mistake I mention it.

Second, the problem with the X server starting on the wrong console seems
to be related to a failure to deallocate virtual terminal 7 when the old
X server stops.  I'm using the nv driver, which is also from nvidia, though
it is open source.  I'm wondering if anybody has seen this on a non-nvidia
driver.

If I switch to a text console, login as root, and issue

   deallocvt 7

I get an error something like this:

   Device or resource busy

Someone gave me the tip some time ago that if I kill the process

   console_kit

or something like that (I don't remember the exact name) then I can
do a

   deallocvt 7

and it will work.  Then, in theory, restarting the X server again
(such as with /etc/init.d/gdm restart) should cause the X server
to restart on vt 7.  This used to work, but the last time I tried
it I ended up with two X servers, one on VT 7 and one on VT 8!
I had to reboot to clean things up.  This situation is a mess and
seems to be getting worse.  As long as you login to GNOME only once
per boot and shutdown the system from GNOME you won't have this
problem.  The initial allocation of VT 7 after a reboot works fine.
But if you logout of GNOME after logging in, you're likely to have
this problem.  It doesn't seem to fail all the time, though.  Perhaps
it is a timing-related problem.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :