On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 09:06:39AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2010, T o n g wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:21:02 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >
> > > Old information may not be valiad for new apt-get :-)
> > >
> > > You may see change in release note:
> > >  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=411280
> >
> > On reading above, I think it is time for me to do away with aptitude and
> > use back to my apt-get again, since I've been using aptitude's CLI
> > interface all the time.
>
> Have a look at wajig, which makes it easy to use apt-get without having
> to remember when to use dpkg, apt-get, or apt-cache. I did away with
> aptitude several years ago when it it removed half my packages for its
> own reasons. I've used wajig ever since.

Your negative reaction to aptitude is shared by some prominent DD.

This isuue of mass removal came from auto-install data.  Now that
both apt-get and aptitude share the same data, this root cause has been
removed.  You do not need to worry.  (At least this is what I think
now.)

I do not know much about wajig since I hardly used it.  It looks
interesing but this "simplicity" requires me to learn new things.  Also
this is not new tool with really new functionality but just a wrapper.

Here is what people use:

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=wajig+update-manager+synaptic+apt+aptitude+apt-rdepends&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

Osamu