I assume that you are using an Xwindows system and have a web browser installed. Try http://localhost:631/ to pull up the Cups aministration page. Set your printer defaults there and lp will follow. I find lp too arcane for my tastes being lazy. At the main page select: Add printer classes>manage printers>Click on que name for your printer>Administration>Set default options. I would suggest setting draft mode and draft resolution as well as long edge. Your lp or lpr printing will use these defaults. This is much easier that messing around with the command line and stays set.

Gary R