On 02/06/2011 06:27 PM, Lisi wrote:
I need to find out:
a)What the magic number should be for certain types of file and
b)Whether a specific file of that type has the correct magic number.

Here is my one, so far futile, effort - in addition to googling until I can
see magic numbered smoke coming out of my ears. :-(

lisi@Tux:~$ cat /usr/share/misc/magic.mgc | grep gzip
Binary file (standard input) matches
lisi@Tux:~$

I realise that this is more specific to UNIX than specific to Debian - but it
applies to all the UNIX family, and Debian is part of that family. ;-)

That's a binary file, it won't help you much.

See the corresponding source package, you should find the same information in that file in a more readable way.

--
"We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement."
                -- Richard J. Daley

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
edua...@kalinowski.com.br