On Ma, 08 feb 11, 20:29:21, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> Recently I placed the netinst i386 debian installer on an old USB stick
> using:
> zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdc
>
> and I've installed one machine using it. However yesterday I was trying
> to install debian itself on a USB stick and the installer found it could
> connect to a couple of the mirrors but that it couldn't find a correct
> version. Could this be due to the transition from lenny to squeeze?

Maybe. What installer are you using?

> I'm also wondering if this is the correct procedure for installing a
> working debian installation on USB stick. A problem I ran into yesterday
> was that I installed grub onto the MBR and overwrote the MBR on my
> laptop's HD. Fixed it now but would like to know how to get around that
> and install it to the USB stick.

I've been playing a lot with USB installs lately. At the installing grub
step you have to be careful to select the corect device, especially if
you don't want to touch the laptop's HDD. And you might want to put /tmp
on tmpfs. Other that that it's just a normal install.

Regards,
Andrei