Dne, 21. 04. 2011 23:36:55 je Juan R. de Silva napisal(a):
I'm in the process of moving from Ubuntu to Debian. I've installed
squeeze and want to restore some of 2 users home files and directories
from a backup made in Ubuntu. There are also some files from /etc needed
to be restored.

I preserved the user names for both of users in a new squeeze
installation but UID and GID are different.

How different? In Debian, the user numbers start at 1000 and go upwards. The user 1000 will be the first user you created (usually gets created during the installation of the OS). Then, once your OS is up and running, you can create new users with the GUI tool or with issuing the command 'adduser' (you must have root privileges to do that). The new users will start at 1001, then go to 1002, 1003 and so on. So just by creating them in a convenient order, you may get the UIDs you want (assuming that Ubuntu uses the same numbering schema, i.e. starting from 1000 up).

If Ubuntu uses another schema (say, from 9999 down), the 'adduser --uid 100x' form should help. If you've just created your Debian users, then nothing will be lost by deleting them by issuing 'deluser --remove-all-files', and creating them from scratch with either of the methods above. Once you get your uids straight, you can start copying over the contents of the Ubuntu home dirs to Debian. Personally, I wouldn't copy them in bulk -- there's bound to be some useless cruft and old leftovers there. I'd copy them subdir by subdir, as needed. For example,after installing Wine, I'd copy over their respective .wine subdirs; and so on.

So, by simply using 'cp -
a' (or rsync) I would run into problem of their mismatch.

Is there a simple and quick way to resolve it or I'll have to go trough
this mess manually one step at a time?

I know I could change UID and GID in Debian to Ubuntu values but I am
quite reluctant to go this way.

Thank you.

HTH

--