On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 01:12:46PM -0800, peasth...@shaw.ca wrote:
> From: Camaleon <noela...@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:34:24 +0000 (UTC)
> > Can you give a concrete example of your goal?
>
> In your home directory, make a file named Category2.html containing any
> valid html text.  The example you gave in your earlier reply will be fine.
>
> Open "http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links"; and you will see three links
> containing "file:*Category2".  Probably the third non-blank line.
> Can you open the second link, file:///~/Category2.html ?  It won't open here.
> But it works if copied to the clipboard and pasted into the URI window.
> Copying and pasting should not be necessary.  It should open with a mouse
> click!
>
> > That is, what piece of code is working on that Native Oberon but fails
> > inside Iceweasel?
>
> The link file:Category2.html works for NO.  With NO not having a
> hierarchical file system it can not open file:///~/Category2.html but
> opens file:Category2.html, no problem.  Analogously, file:///~/Category2.html
> should work for Iceweasel.
>
> OK; I'm more convinced there's a fault in Iceweasel!

As Camaleon already said: it's a security question. In general, you do
not want that a remote website can access your local files. However, you
can make Iceweasel work:
 - open "about:config" in Iceweasel
 - accept that you know what you're doing (and that you will be carefull)
 - search for "security.checkloaduri" and set it to "false"
   (on newer iceweasel's, that's called
   "security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy"
Now, Iceweasel should accept your link. (I have no webserver at hand, so
I haven't tested...)
see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_don't_work

But: The serious security flaw which I see here is the following: This
allows all remote site which you're looking at to use "file:///" in
order to acces your local files. That's true also for javascript. So, as
soon as you set "security.checkloaduri=true", a website you're visiting
could copy all files from your local disk which you're allowed to read
(so /etc/shadow would be inaccessible (except you run iceweasel as root
:-)), but all files in /home/user kann be copied).

Do you know how that problem is solved in Native Oberon?

Axel