On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 20:29 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 09/06/11 19:39, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 17:21 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> On 06/08/2011 06:32 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> >> [snip]
> <snipped>
> >> Not the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse.  It's just... a plain old, boring
> >> standard sized mouse.
> >>
> >> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Basic-Optical-Mouse-Black/dp/B00081N53K
> >
> > This mouse perhaps fits too my needs. Shit! Is there another vendor,
> > than Microsoft selling the same mouse ;)? I would grasp the nettle and
> > buy a Microsoft one, if I shouldn't find another vendor selling similar
> > mice.
> >
> > The PS/2 mouse were the mouse wheel using Debian doesn't work, seems to
> > be a Microsoft mouse too
> > http://www.comresurs.ru/pickat2/31081.jpg
> > I didn't know that I was comfortable with Microsoft :D. Oops!
> >
> > -- Ralf
> >

> I can recommend these:-
> http://www.genius-europe.com/en/produktdetail.php?ID2=23&ID=24&ID3=56
>
> Definitely work with Linux and BSD. Cheap and they are PS/2.
> I have some of the Microsoft mice - they're more expensive, have a
> slightly heavier (less flimsy) body, larger pads on the base, a bit
> larger, and have a USB connector. They also work just fine with Linux
> and BSD - no fiddling needed.
>
> Both mice only need the following if you use an xorg.conf:-
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     # generated from default
>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>     Driver         "mouse"
>     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>     Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>

> Cheers

Thank you :)

AFAIK even when using a xorg.conf and I'm using one for the monitor, HAL
does the mouse settings, as long as there isn't xserver-xorg-input-mouse
installed. Oops, the USB mouse does work although I've got a xorg.conf
without mouse settings, but the xserver-xorg-input-mouse driver
installed. I set up HAL or what ever, can't remember the file at the
moment, when I tried to get the old PS/2 mouse wheel working (of cause I
tried xorg.conf for the PS/2 mouse too).

I wish to have a wired mouse with a design similar to my old mouse.
USB seems to be ok too, no USB is sharing an IRQ with a sound card.
I guess both, ball and laser are ok for me.

Regards,

Ralf