Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 20/06/11 18:35, Dave Sherohman wrote:
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 01:14:11PM -0300, Leandro DUTRA wrote:
2011/6/19 Lisi <lisi.re...@gmail.com>:
Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences
Even better, set the system???s or the user account???s language.
Oh, if only it were that simple...  Most internationalized websites
(including Google) seem to have completely given up on Accept-Language
headers[1] in favor of relying on IP geolocation.  I'm an American expat
living in Sweden, so my browsers are set to send

Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me the
Swedish version of the page.  Setting language preferences on the client
side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other sites.

[1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to set
their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the browser's default
instead of the user's preference"

[2] even though it damn well should

Are you sure this is not also Google's geolocation feature?
Firefox/Iceweasel => about:config => geo.enabled (double-click to disable)

Chrome => spanner_thingie => Options => Under the hood => Location => Do
not allow any site to track my physical location

You can test here:-
http://benwerd.com/lab/geo.php

There used to be are Google url that did the same thing
(www.google.com/nl or similar) I cant' remember the what it was - and
whether it still works.

Good clues. But google search still shows up in Spanish :-(

Hugo