On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:56:48 -0400, Dan wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:27:17 -0400, Dan wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to buy a Vaio S. It has the user-switchable graphics card
>>> AMD Radeon 6470M.
>>
>> Then take a look into this Ubuntu forum thread (post #11) where a user
>> talks about the status of that card in his distribution:
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=467b83bbff9b48f6a32dc2c2d06bf452&t=1699832&page=2

(...)

> Thanks for your answer. That post is from April and things may have
> changed but it seems that it is not a great idea to buy a laptop with a
> switchable graphics card, they are not well supported right now. I was
> debating between the Vaio S and the Macbook pro. The Macbook uses an
> integrated intel card which should work better with Linux.

Uff... I would avoid a Mac at all. Better a compatible system than
irons from a "closed-minded" company :-)

But I would reconsider a dual VGA based laptop, mainly because of two
points:

1/ They're still fairly new in the linux scope.

2/ I see no point of having a dual VGA card at all. A good power
management routine provided by the card's driver that reduces the watts
consumption of the card when it is required should be enough, I don't
see why the need of using two different graphic chipsets and what is
worst, they can be only controlled by "undetermined" (i.e., not open)
tools, so I prefer to stick to something that I know how it behaves.

> Has anybody a good experience with switchable graphic cards?

I can't tell for this, sorry ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón