On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Jason Heeris <jason.hee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 February 2012 20:50, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Aren't your users going to hate the random names?
>
> They won't be end users, but production staff. (I can certainly see
> how you'd be sceptical of doing this for some poor end user...) There
> will be multiple devices being built in a workshop, and they'll need
> to be plugged into the network for tests and the like. Test results or
> session logs can be retrieved via Samba or SFTP after they've
> completed. Doing it this way means that production staff can quickly
> log in over a serial line, write down the hostname *once*, and then
> find the device later on the network. They can move it around, not
> worrying about needing to write down the IP address each time the box
> moves. And having a common prefix makes it easier to hone in Windows
> Explorer, on a network that has all sorts of stuff connected to it.
>
> The clients themselves have other plans for the embedded computer, and
> will most likely erase our stuff as soon as they receive it.
>
> (Perhaps I should have gone into all of this before, but you know how
> it is when you're working on the same thing for weeks... you think
> it's everyone must know what the bigger picture is.)
>
>> Will they know to use "<hostname>.local" for ssh/sftp?
>
> They will if it's written in the commissioning procedure ;)

Thanks for the explanation. It's a good plan but I think that you
name'll be invoked in some non-flattering contexts once this is
implemented... :)

I forgot about your earlier question about a one-time hostname change.

I think that this'll work:

"cp /etc/rc.local /etc/rc.local.final" and "vi /etc/rc.local" to add
your "/dev/random" hostname stuff followed by "mv /etc/rc.local.final
/etc/rc.local".