On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:38:10 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> You better be sure about what you install as your OS, sir, or you can
>> encounter bad suprises... Have you verified the md5sum of the media to
>> know it comes from a trusted source?
>
> <chuckle> My phrasing was poor - posted way past my bedtime. What I
> meant was I was unsure of the version number. It IS 6.0.3.
> It was downloaded from a link given on debian.org (don't recall which
> mirror)
> Today I compared the MD5 of the ISO to that given on
> http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/6.0.3-live/
i386/iso-hybrid/
> . It checked OK.

Ooo-kay :-)

>>>     2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed
>>
>> What did you do or how did you run it?
>
> At first I tried tried running it from sub-menu
> (Applications-Internet-GNOME ppp).
> Failure message was "Can not open modem." The logfile expanded it saying
> "Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied".

And have you checked if your modem is detected by your system at that
port (/dev/ttyS3)? "dmesg | grep -i ttys" will tell more about the
available ports.

Anyway, what kind of modem do you have (external rs-232, external USB,
internal pci, embedded-whatever-linmodem-crap) :-)

>> gnome-ppp is just a GUI frontend
>> for Wvdial.
>
> I had used "System->Administration->Software Center" to install a
> dialer.
> gnome-ppp was the only option offered - so I loaded it.

Yes, and that's right. I only wanted to point you another option to get
the job done, in the event gnome-ppp fails at some point.

>> What was the exact output you got?
>
> root@debianowl:/home/richard# gnome-ppp --version
>
> (gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> (gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
> root@debianowl:/home/richard#
>
> Got the same response whether or not as root.

Don't run it as root but as normal user. Anyway, the version does not
come out :-?

>>> How do I use gnome-ppp as normal [NOT super] user?
>>
>> I'd would start by launching the application from the GNOME menu, it
>> should come up a wizard.
>

> I tried that. That was first hint something was wrong ;<

If something is wrong you have to try to solve it first :-)

> Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting "richard@debianowl:~$
> gnome-ppp
>
> (gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> (gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated WVCONF: /home/richard/.wvdial.conf
> GNOME PPP: Connecting...
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this
> file by hand!"
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied "

That's good. I mean, at least you know where to look at and I would start
by knowing where is the modem detected and how about its perms.

> Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting "root@debianowl:/home/richard#
> gnome-ppp
>
> (gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> (gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
> GNOME PPP: Connecting...
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this
> file by hand!"
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot get information for serial port.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATZ
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Modem initialized.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATM1L3DT999-9999
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Waiting for carrier.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATM1L3DT999-9999
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: Caught signal 2:  Attempting to exit gracefully...
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Disconnecting at Tue Apr 24 19:58:54 2012
> root@debianowl:/home/richard#
> "

Okay, that log gives us many useful info:

1/ First, you go further when running from root so it can be something
wrong with the modem permissions (is your user added to the "dialout"
group?)

2/ And second, your modem is initialized but somehow it hangs. You will
have to look at the configuration settings you have defined for your
provider (connection settings) and modem (init strings).

> Notice that when *NOT* asking for version, it's available.

I'm afraid that's Wvdial version, not "gnome-ppp" :-)

>>> How do I create clickable icon to dial into my ISP as a 'normal' user?
>>
>> I can't tell for gnome-ppp but this can be usually done in wvdial by
>> definining different ISPs profiles [sections] and then passing it as
>> argument when calling the binary, e.g., "wvdial my_first_isp".
>>
>> Anyway, if you get no satisfaction with gnome-ppp, try another dialer
>> ;-) (I, for myself, prefer to use the plain wvdial).
>

> I disagree with that philosophy.

What exactly? About using unmaintained/dead packages?

> I may not end up using gnome-ppp. But ignoring a problem does not solve
> it. There *IS* a bug. It may be in the _operator_ ;/

A bug where? I still have not enough clues to confirm that point ;-)

Anyway, note that gnome-ppp is not being actively developed anymore (or
so it seems), so no upstream project means it's hard to get bugs solved.
In GNOME, the default now is "network manager" but I still prefer using
wvdial for dial up or UMTS, I find it's cleaner and easier to configure
and debug.

>>> After those questions are answered, how do I download and install
>>> SeaMonkey such that clicking an ICON will dial into my ISP and launch
>>> SeaMonkey -ICEweasel is FROZEN out as acceptable method.
>>
>> Mmm... whaaat?!
>
> Not on technical grounds.
> Just on some very strong idiosyncratic personal preferences.

Sorry, is that I didn't catch what you wanted to say :-?

>>> NOTE BENE: WEB references needed as Linux not working too well now ;/
>>
>> Mmm... it's not clear what[who]'s not working here>:-P
>
> BOTH? I did say I wrote the original post past my bedtime ;) Thank you
> for your time.

No problem, that can happen to any of us :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón