On 7/30/12, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>>
>> I hate pulseaudio, but I could imagine that systemd anyway could have
>> some advantages, even if it's from a man (boy) who often takes photos
>> from himself in front of a mirror and then publish this snapshots in the
>> Internet.
>
> Is there a relationship between taking your own picture in a mirror
> and developing software?

I, personally, recognize a certain ironic connection, particularly in
relation to Poettering. I'll leave it to the list readers who care, to
understand or misunderstand what I mean. (Not sure discussing it
belongs here, but I can understand why Ralf might want to bring it
up.)

I don't know what brings Tom H here, but I am becoming more active
here precisely because of systemd. Well, that, and SELinux. Too many
changes too fast, too many of them shifting from stable techniques
known to work in *nix environments to experimental implementations of
techniques that are known to be primary underlying factors of many of
the technical issues in the monoculture/world-domination OS.

I don't, for example, dare try Fedora as an alternative to the ancient
Mac OS X on the ancient but still viable iBook that my sister uses to
keep in touch with the family. I have absolutely no confidence that I
would be able to do the remote administration she needs done every now
and then.

(Fedora 13 or 14 would still have worked, fwiw.)

There are both technical and political issues here that go way beyond
the scope of this thread in debian-user, beyond a simple word to the
wise:

Be very, very careful with systemd.

--
Joel Rees