On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:14:54AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Have you tried not having your .xssesionrc at all?  Does it provide
> the same result to you as with .xsessionrc?

Yes, except for:

---------8< ---- .xsessionrc ---------8< ----
/home/chrisb/background.sh &

xterm -fn 10x20 -xrm "XTerm.vt100.background: #CCA8AA" -xrm \
  "XTerm.vt100.foreground: blue" -geom 120x15 &

---------8< ---- .xsessionrc ---------8< ----

---------8< ---- background.sh ---------8< ----

feh --bg-max  /home/chrisb/images/logo.gif

---------8< ---- background.sh ---------8< ----

IOW, it reads .xsessionrc If I call it .xsession/.xinitrc it doesn't work,
probably cause I haven't got the "exec fvwm &" cantation at the end of the
.xsessionrc file.

Starting fvwm is handled via the alternatives system:

t@tal:~# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
x-window-manager - auto mode
  link currently points to /usr/bin/fvwm2
/usr/bin/fvwm2 - priority 50
    slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/fvwm2.1.gz
Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/fvwm2'.

> I've been using .xinitrc and .xsession with plain fluxbox (no DE), to
> work with plain startx or xdm (other DMs as well such as slim and
> wdm), and I have had no problems for around 10 years (well I no longer
> use slim neither wdm now a days)...  For setting resources I use
> .Xresources and .Xdefaults.

What does: "update-alternatives --display x-window-manager" display for
you?

> Any ways if you look at the startx man page, you'll see at the bottom
> the configuration files.  It only talks about .xinitrc, and .xserverrc
> (not .xsessionrc), and I would not play around with .xserverrc, the

I read about .xsessionrc somewhere, can't remember where, cause I was
having trouble on an upgrade. Not sure if it was etch -> lenny,
or lenny -> squeeze

> Now, this is the reason I recommended, to reduce maintaining several
> initialization files, just provide execute permissions for .xinitrc,
> and then make a link from it to .xsession.  Make sure you call the WM

Already now you have two initialization files. :)
I could get away with none (no .xinitrc, no .xsession, no .xsessionrc)
but then I'd have to put all configuration in the "~/.fvwm/config" file.

Although the default setup is quite good. That is, if you don't have a
"~/.fvwm/config" file.

> BTW, startx does not use .xession at all...

Right.

> Can you provide the .xinitrc you're trying for your startx attempts?

See above explanation.

> As a fallback, before calling your WM, you can also call xterm, or
> some other term, to keep Xorg up while the term is up...  If that
> works, then it might be something is wrong when calling the WM...

JTFR, there *IS* no problem. This may be because I'm using fvwm which is
hooked into the alternatives system *AND* has a working default.

IOW, if I try some other WM, I could very well need an .xinitrc with
some "exec <WM - here> &" cantation, BUT it looks like it is handled
by the alternatives system. Using .xinitrc could be defunct, but no one
has told us. :-)

Maybe, if you use .Xresources and/or .Xdefaults you need an .xinitrc.

P.S. Possibly this "exec fvwm &" cantation not working was the cause
of my search, leading to the use of an .xsessionrc -- but It was a long
time ago now and my memory is a bit hazy on the details.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X