On Sun 09 Sep 2012 at 02:58:39 -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> I have a new laptop HP Pavilion dv4 5162la.  I have tried all night to
> install linux opn it, various distributions, but all have problems, of
> different sort.
> Now I am trying lubuntu (12.10 beta, but tried 12.04, exactly same
> symptoms)  When starting the install, the screen gets black, there 9is
> a lot of noise from the op0tical drive, and then the process dies! Any
> ideas?

Contact a Ubuntu mailing list/forum?

> I tried aldo an live cd for debian testing, (3 september variant), but
> that stopped with a different problem, one of the installer programs
> returned with an error, so there is an error in a program on the cd.
> Linux mint debian edition, after some time the installer program
> freezes,
> (happened repeatedly, at various points in the process. Got tired)  Any ideas?

This is about as vague as it gets. Some problem in some program on an
unspecified image. Tiredness really has set in. :)

If for some reason you insist on installing Wheezy rather than Squeeze,
an alpha ISO should be less troublesome:

   http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_alpha1/