On 09/21/2012 05:16 PM, Neal Murphy wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2012 04:53:21 PM Stan Hoeppner wrote:
It's not writing style but attitude.  My attitude is that people should
be self reliant.  Only when they search and can't find an answer should
they ask on a mailing list.  Especially in this case, when the answer is
so damn easy to find, literally clicking one link on the Debian home
page and reading the subsequent page.

I agree with Stan. At least SOME effort to find the answer to their problem should be done before running to this list. In the distant past the usual reply was RTFM, but this List has mellowed in the past 4-5 years.

I wholly disagree. First, when someone lowers himself to ask a question in a
public forum, it is usually because she has been unable to find the answer; it
is the duty of others in the forum to respond politely and civilly. Second,
mayhap you want others to treat you like a fetid, steaming dog turd; most of
us don't want anyone treated like that. We don't like being bullied; rather,
we wish to be treated with civility and respect, and we try to treat others in
the same way.

That might be fine for a Forum but this is a list, not a Forum.

If one cannot respond with civility and respect, one shouldn't respond at all.

How would that help OSS?

Attitudes like yours drive people away from OSS.

I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it.

Wayne