On 10/13/2012 5:06 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> I am installing Debian 6.0.0 squeeze with kernel version
> 2.6.32-5-amd64 on Dell R720 2U server(
> http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/dell-poweredge-r720-spec-sheet.pdf),
> the installer is unable to detect the RAID Controller and NIC Card.
> Details of lspci -> http://paste.debian.net/199820/ Any clue to this
> issue?
> Please let me know if anyone needs any further information.

A quality sysadmin would have checked and ironed out OS compatibility
issues before ever ordering the hardware.  Keep that for future
reference.  You'll need to do that legwork now:

Check Dell's website for Debian Stable and Testing support.  Also check
the minimum Linux kernel version required to support the H series RAID
cards and Broadcom 5720/5800 series embedded NICs.  I don't keep up with
Dell, but this appears to be relatively new hardware: PCIe 3.0, embedded
10GbE NICs, hot swap PCIe SSD, etc.  2.6.32 was released Dec 2009,
almost 3 years ago.  I'm guessing the latest 2.6.32-5 Squeeze kernel
doesn't include the necessary drivers and/or firmware blobs for these
devices.

And yes, there is a reason (many actually) why Dell only officially
supports SLES and RHEL.  One of those is that they back port drivers for
new enterprise hardware to their (old) current kernels.  Another is that
they gladly include non-free code, which is common for such hardware.
Debian is draconian in this regard.

In the future, do your homework *before* you buy, saving yourself from
these headaches.

Good luck.  Let us know what you find.

--
Stan