On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 10:56:07AM -0800, Gary Roach wrote:
> On 11/21/2012 06:02 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >Crypticmofo wrote:
> >>Hello
> >>
> >>I'm new to debian and i hang out in the irc channels .. i realize
> >>that irc is there really for support so i wanted to take my question
> >>here ..
> >>
> >> From the more exprienced Debian users can you guys paste or post a
> >>list of the most common commands that you use
> >>
> >>I already know of the docs like
> >>
> >>debian-handbook
> >>debian-kernel-handbook
> >>debian-refernce
> >>apt-common
> >>
> >>And yes most of the manpages
> >>
> >>What i really want are real life uses everyday ie.. do you use a lot
> >>of dpkg commands do you use  a lot of apt or aptitude commands everday
> >>
> >>Also .. in your experience what are good handy tools we should have
> >>and learn that are a must to be able to navigate / use Debian
> >>

> >still for me:
> >
> >mc (in a text VT)
> >
> >Hugo

I recommend learning vim (http://www.vim.org)
Grep and sed are both immensely useful, as is find...there are, indeed,
many.

While I do not find a comprehensive wiki with anything like a full
listing of possible bash shell command line tools, I did find these very
useful items:

Advanced Bash Scripting Guide:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
bash hackers wiki: http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/doku.php
Linux for Newbies/Command Line:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_For_Newbies/Command_Line
Linux Command Line Basics:
http://www.cs.wmich.edu/wiki/index.php/Linux_Command_Line_Basics
Linux Guide/Linux Commands:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_Guide/Linux_commands
Linux Guide/Using the shell:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_Guide/Using_the_shell

I could very easily set up another dokuwiki on one of my servers
somewhere for cli wiki, but, with so many already started and not
complete on the internet, I have no illusions that anything I start
would ever become comprehensive or the go-to guide.

Also, follow this person on identi.ca:
https://identi.ca/climagic
Their site: http://suso.suso.org/xulu/Command_Line_Magic

./tony