On 11/24/2012 05:06 AM, Tony Baldwin wrote:
On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:02:42AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On 11/24/12, Andrei POPESCU<andreimpope...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Vi, 23 nov 12, 07:25:29, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2012 23 Nov 05:43 -0600, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
Thinkpad. Avoid ATI graphics if possible.
I s
Why?
I've had good experiences with both, IBM Thinkpads (had an a21m that
lasted forever, ran Debian, #!, PeppermintOS, and PCLinuxOS on it, all
perfectly),
and Dells (currently have an old d420 I purchased on ebay for like $120,
running crunchbang, which is essentially debian+openbox, works flawlessly).

./tony
I've only owned one laptop so my experience is somewhat limited. But I think you need to as some of the following questions:
    1. Are you a gamer or more of a normal user or a media freek.
    2. How portable must the unit be.
    3. How long must it run on batteries.
    4. How much are you willing to pay.
    5. Do you do graphics - need a lot of screen real-estate.

I own a Qosmio G25-av315. It weighs about 9.5 lbs and gets about 1 hr on the batteries. It's more of a portable computer than a laptop. For this I get an 18 inch screen, all kinds of media capability, two 60GB hard drives and a raft of compatibility headaches. I set the system up as a dual boot with Debian Linux on one disk and Windows XP on the other. The Debian side has never been completely functional - but adaquate for my needs. The XP side is fully functional but is fast becoming a problem. There seems to be no upgrade path to Windows 8. This last problem is going to get worse the more complicated the laptop. This Qosmio has a TV receiver (never used) and dolby sound system. Trying to find linux drivers for some of this stuff means that firmware has to be swapped out in the fly. Not a good situation.

My advise. By only what you absolutely need. Forget the bells and whistles unless you really have a specific need. Simple is cheaper and probably more useful.

Unless you need this within the next 6-12 months you might consider waiting to see what happens with bigger ePaper screens. I want a tablet but won't buy until I find one with a ePaper screen. The battery life goes up by a factor of 10 or more and the screen is readable at very obtuse angles and in direct sun light.

i hope this helps

Gary R.