On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 11:35 +0100, phi debian wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The all thing that make me stay away from suse, ubuntu, mint, name
> it... is gnome3. I am an happy camper since linge with debian way of
> gnome2.
>
> My needs are very basic, i.e remove everything, keep only 1 panel that
> I want vertical on and the right, and have the gnome click tools
> (gparted, system setting, administration)
>
> I hate to an iritating point any wm that knows better than me what is
> good for me, basically, thing that auto maximize, fixed/locked
> pannels, etc, etc... and I hate having to customise things with a huge
> 'registery' like thing, clickin in panel (or drag it) to move it
> around is teh only thing I need.
>
> And what I hate most, it spending hours, days to customise, having an
> update and tada all custmisation are lost and not redone the same way
> (ubuntu does this)
>
> So my question, does next release of debian will be poluted with
> gnome3, are will we have a choice? Even a dangled gnome2 would be good
> for me.
>
> I need to know to void to press 'yes' on next update.
>
> If you know what next release will lok like I'd like to know

+10000000000000000000000000
Full ACK!

And now the bad news. What you experienced for Ubuntu is equal to my
experiences with different distros.

My updated Linux installs all suffer from XFCE 4.10 and GNOME 3.6
issues, pulseaudio, different startup methods etc., the new Linux policy
stuff that tries to make Linux for desktop computers, becoming an Apple
mobile device clone.

My recommendation is, that you should get XFCE 4.8 and if possible no
GNOME 3 apps.

Perhaps you are comfortable with a forge of GNOME 2?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_%28desktop_environment%29

Regards,
Ralf