On Lu, 17 dec 12, 19:34:30, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Read somewhere that updating/upgrading from Wheezy Beta eventually to
> Wheezy Stable using the "wheezy" named repos (not "testing" named
> ones) has potential problems, and the best option is a clean install
> of Wheezy Stable.

[citation needed]

> True or false?

Your question contains some misunderstandings[1], but I will try to
answer what I think you want to know.

Depending on the point in time where one starts using 'testing' the
installation may *differ* from a clean install right after the same
release becomes 'stable'.

This are several causes for this:
- package additions/removals
- new installs of a package will generally use new defaults, while
  upgrades tend to preserve old defaults if at all possible
- bugs in the upgrade process
- administrator choices during the upgrade process
- etc.

Whether the above are reason enough to prefer a clean install is a more
a personal decision in my opinion.

You question seems to indicate you are not very familiar with Debian
and/or it's package management and upgrading process. I strongly suggest
you stick to whatever the current 'stable' release is (currently
squeeze) and upgrade only after the release, following the Release
Notes.

If you want to experiment with 'testing' (or even 'unstable') you can do
so on a separate install (dual-boot) or in a virtual machine. As you
gain more experience you will be able to answer for yourself whether to
keep on upgrading or do a clean install.

[1] at this moment wheezy *is* 'testing' and you can use either in
sources.list. They will start to differ only when wheezy is released
(becomes 'stable') at which point jenny will be 'testing'.

Kind regards,
Andrei