On Sunday 23 December 2012 23:31:37 berenger.mo...@neutralite.org wrote:
> I do not know what kind of interface your are accustomed to, but you
> could try XFCE or LXDE.
> In fact, you could also install more than one, and try them from time
> to time, in the login manager, you can often choose the DE when you
> installed more than one. That's a convenient feature for people who like
> to try different things, and when you have build your opinion, just
> remove DE you do not like is really easy.
>
> In short, just take the DE which fit your needs. I would say that the
> Big Two, Gnome and KDE, are made for users which have very few time to
> invest in their system, and do not want to even install new softwares.
> They are near the complete OS, IMHO.
>
> In second, you have desktops like XFCE and LXDE, which are more like
> what you have with a vanilla windows: you have everything you need to
> simply use a computer, but not softwares to do real tasks.

Don't forget the minority DEs:  Mate, Cinnamon, Trinity DE etc.  XFCE is more
by way of being a complete running system than you credit it with being.  But
I agree that nothing is as top-heavy as KDE 4 and GNOME 3.  Since GNOME 2 and
KDE 3 still have their devoted fans, one needs to specify the numbers.

Lisi