On 03/01/2013 12:13 PM, Tom H wrote:

/snip/
And there is always PCLinuxOS, which was originally designed expressly to
make
the transition to Linux easy for Windows users.
I wasn't making an exhaustive list of distributions. I just check
three and found their instructions.

I've just checked PCLinuxOS and there aren't any CD/DVD/Stick-creation
instructions:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=10

I can only access a cached wiki page at the moment and it only has CD
burning instructions.
There are instructions for making a boot flash-drive here:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,80917.0.html
Thanks but these instructions are for creating an installation flash
drive on Linux - and they're well hidden. So it's a fail from the
perspective of the person criticizing distributions for not providing
readily-available Windows instructions for creating one.

Just a minute or two with Google found this:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-bootable-iso-flash-drive-7334710.html

UltraISO is a Windows program to work with iso files.
The program is free for enough of it to make bootable flash drives,
according to the description. I haven't tried it, but you can get the
UltraISO from CNet, so it should be OK.

It sould appear that you could get the program, then get the iso
for PCLOS, and burn the flash drive all from a laptop or notebook
that has no optical drive, and then install pclos from the flash.
I can't think of anything much simpler than that.

--doug

--doug