Hi,

> I reinstalled the LITE-ON, so now the machine has both drives.
> Brasero no longer sees either drive. This started after I
> installed udftools, etc..

I am not sure what facility Brasero uses for drive detection.
If it is via libburn, then drives will not show up, if they are
in use by other programs or mounted by the kernel.

What do you get from a libburn based command line tool. E.g.:

  xorriso -devices

Drives need rw-permission to be inspectable. So possibly you
have to do this as superuser if the system installation does not
offer these rights to the desktop user.

> Burning a CD-R using LITE-ON, Squeeze, [...]
> the directory is correct, but *every* file except .checksum.md5 is corrupt!

So the Pioneer drive seems not to be the culprit.
(I already began to ponder whether it would be possible to get
 that drive to me in Germany for inspection.)

CD-R are prone to getting spoiled by automounters and other drive
inspection tools, which grope the drive while the CD burn run
is going on.

This too would match the theory that you installed some autogroper
together with udftools, etc.

It does not explain the failures with BD-R, though.

I now remember that i had to tweak udev, when i installed my
Debian test machine.
>From xorriso's README file:
On Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.2 amd64 there is
  /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules
where one can remove all CD drives ("sr*") from the list of automountable
devices:
  KERNEL=="sd*|hd*|mmcblk*|mspblk*", ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_NOPOLICY}="0"
  # KERNEL=="sd*|hd*|sr*|mmcblk*|mspblk*", ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_NOPOLICY}="0"
Copying the recognition criterion from
  /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
one can prevent automounting a single drive, too. E.g.:
  SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*",
ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:11.0-scsi-2:0:0:0",
ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_NOPOLICY}:="1"

If you cannot get rid of the automounter, try whether it helps to always load
the drive tray manually before starting a write run of xorriso. Wait until the
drive light is off and the mounted media appears.
Then try to unmount the mounted media before a write run.

It is possible that autogroping meanwhile changed its tools,
configuration interfaces, and behavior once again.
One will have to try to find out, what triggers inspection and
automounting of the drive.

> I looks like it's time for a backup/ wipe/ reinstall cycle.

If my theory is right, then at some stage of system re-installation,
the CD problem will arise again.

(CD-RW should yield the same results ac CD-R.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas