On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:22:32 -0700
peasth...@shaw.ca wrote:

Hi.

> Originally I did just as you recommend and noticed a message
> in /var/log/syslog instructing to use SYMLINK+=.

Of course it says so.

See, no block device named sd? = no automounting by all those fancy
freedesktop toys, and udev was hijacked by freedesktop long time ago.

Of course, NAME= part of udev rule can break in a future, but as of
wheezy's udev - it works.

> The automounting isn't so bad after all.  The user
> can umount the device and ignore the spurious error
> dialogue.

And that is a bad thing, IMO.

It is not a user who should get used to the software, it is the
software who should do what man says.

Personally, I've got rid of all those automounters, and use good old
autofs. As a bonus, I've got an auto-unmounting, something that no
other software can provide.

Reco