On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (erk)

[...]

> So, alternatives to gdm3 include
>
> kdm (pulling in all of that),
> lightdm (another gnome project),
> slim (which is the one I was using before, but was removed during upgrade),
> wdm (afterstep fun stuff),
> ldm (properly tunneled, in theory, need to look at that),
> and xdm (a bit too light for modern tastes).
>
> And I need to get one of those installed and set up and kick gdm3 to the
> curb. Probably slim again for now.

For the record, I installed slim via synaptic, and it got into a wait loop.
I clicked the "details" ("status", or whatever it is in English) triangle
and saw the text-mode dialog about needing to choose a default display
manager. My first reaction was, "Oh, noooo, I should have done this with
apt-get install, like a good sysadmin!

Some time-wasting later, I tried clicking the okay button in the
status/details area, then hit the enter key on a lark, and found (was
reminded?) that the text mode dialog in the status/details area is fully
functional.

Should I go make a features request for a better prompt?

Something like, "install shell status (may be interactive):"

--
Joel Rees