On 01 Jul 2013, Joel Rees wrote:

>      Although I have installed the 3.9 kernel and it is present in
>      /boot/grub/menu.lst, it never appears in the menu when I boot. Repeated
>      runs of update-grub don't fix this. I reverted to grub-legacy because of
>      configuration problems with grub2 but that didn't allow the new kernel
>      to appear either.
>
>    grub2 of course ignores menu.lst, but you say you are using legacy grub.
>
>    I have been considering going back to legacy grub, since chaining and
>    multibooting in general was easier back then. But it was almost ten years
>    ago that I was mixing BSDs and Linuxes and solaris (6 OS mulitboot, at one
>    point) on the one box. I think legacy was no longer doing that nicely when
>    grub2 started being used.
>
>    Update-grub with grub2 finds pretty much all my Linux kernels on all my
>    Linux OSses. Finds them, but can't boot them all. I've recently had Mint
>    and Fedora in a spare partition on the first drive, but it would not boot
>    those with any stability. Sometime, I need to find out why.
>
>    --
>    Joel Rees

For some reason a recent upgrade of grub2 led to a failed configure. I
found other people on Google, mainly ubuntu users,with a similar problem
but no obvious solution. I purged grub2 and reinstalled, but the same
error appeared. That was why I reverted to legacy grub, which at least
allowed grub-mkconfig to work but still the new kernel did not appear at
boot.

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk