On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 08:31:52PM +0400, sean Griffiths wrote:

> Hello and Good Day,
>
> Please can you tell me if Debian squeeze 64 bit accepts more than 4GB ram, ie
> 8GB? I have a Dell Latitude D6200 and am in the process of upgrading to a
> D6300 which will accept 8GB maximum RAM and Dell actually sell these 8gb
> Memory modules (2x4gb), even though in the beginning they stated it's max was
> 4GB. And so knowing that the machine itself has no problems accepting it, I
> just need to make sure that Debian 6.0.7 64 bit will accept it, because these
> RAM modules are not on the cheap side! - about 150 uk pounds for the pair.

Squeeze has no problem with lots of RAM.

If you want a laptop with lots of RAM, though, it may be cheaper
for you in the long run to buy a new machine that can accept
DDR3 RAM, which is currently quite cheap. 8GB DDR3 laptop memory
sticks start at 40 pounds.

> The other thing, just out of curiosity really, is to do with NVIDIA chipsets.
> Apparently the D6300 with the NVIDIA chipsets don't last long. And I think
> that maybe it is the pressure of using Windows, especially 7 or 8, on the
> chip that is the problem. So, am I right in thinking that, even using compiz,
> Debian is still going to be lighter on the graphics chip, than of Windows?

If there's a heat-related flaw in the GPU, Linux versus Windows
is unlikely to help. Avoid machines with known problems.

-dsr-