On Thursday 29 August 2013 14:17:46 François Patte wrote:
> Le 29/08/2013 15:15, Stefan Monnier a écrit :
> >> You obviously learn Latin differently over there too.  I have a degree
> >> in Latin, and have taught Latin, and have never had to use these
> >> characters!
>
> You, maybe, never taught prosody...

Yes, I did.  I was just misunderstanding what people were saying since I could
not actually see what they were on about.  I do not regard the scanning of
prosody as being part of the letters.  Bob specifically mentions characters,
not extraneous informatuion, which is not part of the letter.

E.g.:
primus ibi ante omnes
pronounced:
primus ib' ant' omnes
is complete without the information about the metre.

Lisi