On 09 Sep 2013, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Short version: Brother doesn't support linux.  I'm considering Lexmark.
>
> I too am looking for a  B+W laser printer.  I just got a Brother HL 5450 to
> replace a 5150 I had.  It fails to print some pages, and I'm sending it
> back because Brother says they do not  provide phone support for Linux.
> They used to have an email address for linux, but a query there produced no
> answer.  It's supposed to be postscript compatible; since there are issues
> I wonder if that's in software rather than hardware.

I recently bought a Brother 5250DN second-hand for 60 ukp, which was in
like-new condition. It has both networking and postscript
capabilities.

 I first used the (quite old) driver for this model available
on the Brother site. It worked well at first but then large images came
out distorted, with an error message.

Following a comment on the net I tried the pxlmono driver and that is
working well.

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk