I haven't had any issues getting a variety of distributions (currently running
Gentoo, CentOS, Debian, and a Ubuntu box in oil) on a tons of different
hardware from laptops and desktops and servers of quite a few brands.

Most desktops and servers are SuperMicro. I highly recommend them. However I
doubt the hardware is the issue.