On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 02:14:34PM +0200, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 08:38:19PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 08:11:10PM +0200, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > > Friends,
> > >
> > > For some reason, when I try to use pcmanfm as my user, I can not.
> > > I can start it as other users on the system, or with gksu or sudo,
> > > but not for my user.
> > >
> > Have you tried deleting .config/pcmanfm instead of replacing it with
> > another user's files?
>
> I moved ~/.config/pcmanfm (rather than delete), and this made no
> difference.

Without running pcmanfm, run 'ps aux | grep pcmanfm' to see if there's a
pcmanfm process already running.  If there is, kill it with either
'killall pcmanfm' or 'kill 1234' (where 1234 is the process id).  Then
check to make sure it was killed with 'ps aux | grep pcmanfm'

Once it's killed, try running pcmanfm again.  If it doesn't work, run
the 'ps' command again to see if a process is running.  If there's not,
then presumably it crashed right away.  If there is, then it's hanging
on something.  I really don't know what to do after that, but this might
be useful information to pass to the developer if you file a bug.  Or
maybe it'll give some clues to others on this list.

You can also try checking the system logs for clues.  Note the time you
try to run pcmanfm and then search /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog
to see what is reported at that time.  You probably need to be root to
view those logs.

-Rob