Georgi Naplatanov wrote:

On 09/30/2013 02:03 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
On 09/29/2013 05:24 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:52:00AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Shane Johnson wrote:
I have been fighting this all night and was wondering if anyone else
has been having problems as well?

I am doing a new install via debootstrap to a lvm2 volume via the
wheezy rescue disk.

I got it running in wheezy then went to jessie and while I was running the 3.2 kernel from wheezy it booted fine. Then I upgraded the kernel
to 3.10 in jessie and it says it can't find the volume goup.   I have
made sure that initrd is updated and grub is updated.  Not sure on
what the next step would be or if this is just a bug that I need to
wait for it to be resolved or if I need to submit a bug?

Thanks for your help.

add 'rootdelay=5'(w/o the quotes) to the boot parameters.

Is this a known problem for this kernel?

Yes, it's written in the release notes.

You have a link for that?

Hugo

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#boot-timing

It's for wheezy, I didn't see you have a problem with newer kernel.

That doesn't exactly cover the OP's case of LVM not being recognized by Debian kernel 3.10-2-amd64 and 3.10-3-amd64 as also addressed by
because dm-mod is not loaded in time. Rootdelay=3 in my own case solves that. And it seems specifically having to do with those Debian kernels. I.e. my own kernels of 3.10.7 etc. don't have the problem.

Hugo