On 19/12/13 10:25 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
On 19/12/13 01:32 AM, Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 01:09:03 -0500 Frank McCormick sent:

It appears it is supported - I have the ralink-firmware installed, but
when Debian (sid) boots it tries dhcpdiscover 255.255.255.255  about
10 times then gives up after getting no reply.

There has been a recent thread about wireless. Some interesting
information.

I have no idea at all about wireless.

Try 'iwconfig" as root and see what wlan should be seeking. I wore
myself out putting wlan1 in my /etc/network/interfaces and jumping
through all manner of hoops. It should have been wlan2 and when I
changed it, all was well.

    Well it's really frustrating! iwconfig output looks ok then again I
am not really sure what I should be looking for.

root@frank-debian:/home/frank# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:on

This is from syslog

Dec 19 10:17:37 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
Dec 19 10:17:44 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Dec 19 10:17:52 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
database - sleeping.

Solved my problem. +1 for wicd in the Debian repositories...-10 for gnome-nettool :)

If you are having wireless setup problems, it's the tool to goto.