On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 06:41:04AM -0500, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> On 01/21/2014 03:38 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >On Lu, 20 ian 14, 15:28:33, Henning Follmann wrote:
> >>
> >>Yes,
> >>in Wheezy bootlogd is active by default. In previous versions you had to
> >>enable it by setting
> >>BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes
> >>in /etc/default/bootlogd
> >>
> >>The boot messages will be logged to /var/log/boot
> >
> >True, but since it's Priority: optional it might not be installed at
> >all.
> >
> >Kind regards,
> >Andrei
> >

> Ignore my previous message.
>
> When I started the VM this morning, bootlogd did register several
> error lines from gunicorn. Seems it cannot change to the source
> directory of one of the sites it's serving. That particular
> directory is on a NFS share.

See, that would be information which should be included in your first post.
Initially I thought about network issues. Here I use Cisco catalyst
switches. And the port take up to 10 seconds to come up. This can cause
issues with network services during boot.

> I am going to assume that, on cold boots, when gunicorn starts, NFS
> mounts are incomplete because it takes the VM time to get the low
> level stuff settled. On warm boots, that work is done, so NFS mounts
> complete before gunicorn starts. :-) It's a working hypothesis!
>
> (Of course that does not explain why bootlogd showed nothing yesterday.)

Well, lets assume that was PEBKAC ;)

> But thanks for the suggestions!

-H

--