On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Chris Bannister
<cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 03:39:30PM +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
>> Am I the only one there who readed this
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unix_Programming_Environment?
>>
>> (once reading this you think that the .sh suffix is not only
>> unnecessary, it is UGLY!)
>
> Well, it does save using the 'file' command to see if it is an editable
> file, which saves messing up the terminal if it isn't [an editable file]

Of course, if you really want to avoid messing up your terminal, even
with the .sh extension, you may prefer to start with hexdump -C.
(Thinking, for instance, of cat-ing a shellscript with special
characters in the comments and such. Not to mention the occasional
program that for some strange reason or other got compiled to a file
name that ended in .sh.)

Extensions are supposed to be hints, and that is one small example of
why we don't want to follow the Microsoft way. (Sorry to get back up
on the soapbox again.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.