On 09/04/14 01:33, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 08 apr 14, 16:20:22, Hans wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible (and if yes, how), to compute the code from the wanted
>> solution? For example, if I want to have 1440x900, can I compute the
>> vga=whatever code? Or must I always look into a table?

See:-
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB_Legacy#Framebuffer_resolution
vbetool will probably give you the same info.

More detailed information on calculating mode numbers:-
http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes

> Not what you're asking for, but maybe what you need: with recent enough
> grub and kernel (wheezy and probably even earlier) you only need to set
>
>     GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1440x900
>
> in /etc/default/grub, or set it to 'keep' and change GRUB_GFXMODE as
> needed.
>
> Whether your card actually supports the mode is a completely different
> question, but has already been answered by others.

This is because the graphic card manufacturers are free to choose any
number they wish, as this is not part of the VBE 3 standard. This is why
these codes change from one card to the other (possibly even for the
same manufacturer).

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

With the benefit of hindsight, if the OP had mentioned right at the
start he was using GRUB legacy (or LILO) we'd have supplied more useful
information.

Kind regards