Following the recent announcement of the availability of MATE 1.8 in
Debian, I went ahead and installed it on my Debian unstable install,
alongside GNOME 3. Performance is great and I am seriously considering
switching my old workstations to it.

Amongst the issues I encountered, one concerns the sound controls or sound
applet which does nothing but move the filler bar, but do not raise or
lower the sound. I have to use the controls within the sound preference app
(Master and/or PCM) to get control over the sound. Meanwhile, the sound
controls and applet work fine in GNOME 3.

Anyone else facing this issue ? Any thoughts on a possible solution ?

Ghis