I've never heard of anything like this except on Windows.  I want to override
DNS with a local entry in /etc/hosts, ping sees the override, telnet does
not.

ping testing.otherdomain.com:

  PING testing.otherdomain.com (10.142.254.1) from 10.142.254.1 : 56(84) bytes
of
    data.
  64 bytes from shieldaig.wehave.net (10.142.254.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64
    time=0.037 ms

telnet testing.otherdomain.com. 80:

  Trying 65.95.86.XXX...
  Connected to ...

lynx and konqueror also try to connect to the external IP (served from an
external DNS server) instead of the internal IP listed in /etc/hosts.
Mozilla connects to the entry listed in /etc/hosts as desired.

The machine is running Debian stable with lots of backports and outside
packages installed (mozilla, mysql, kde, etc).  Still a virtually identical
Debian machine at my office is not having this issue.

Below are all of my config files that I think might be relevant, I can't see
any problem, can you?

Thanks!

/etc/hosts:

    127.0.0.1       localhost
    10.142.254.1    shieldaig.wehave.net    shieldaig
    10.142.254.1    testing.otherdomain.com

    # (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

    ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

/etc/resolv.conf:

  search wehave.net
  nameserver 10.142.254.1
  nameserver 142.77.1.1

/etc/host.conf:

  order hosts,bind
  multi on

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

  passwd:         compat
  group:          compat
  shadow:         compat
  hosts:          files dns
  networks:       files
  protocols:      db files
  services:       db files
  ethers:         db files
  rpc:            db files
  netgroup:       nis

--
Fraser Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux